MySQL is a widely used relational database management system (RDBMS). MySQL is free and open-source. MySQL is ideal for both small and large applications.
MySQL has stand-alone clients that allow users to interact directly with a MySQL database using SQL, but more often, MySQL is used with other programs to implement applications that need relational database capability. MySQL is a component of the LAMP web application software stack (and others), which is an acronym for Linux, Apache, MySQL, Perl/PHP/Python. MySQL is used by many database-driven web applications, including Drupal, Joomla, phpBB, and WordPress. MySQL is also used by many popular websites, including Facebook, Flickr, MediaWiki, Twitter, and YouTube.
MySQL is available as an one-click installable app on all of our Gigabox Plans starting from Gigabox Basic series.
- Open-Source: MySQL is open-source, which means this software can be downloaded, used and modified by anyone. It is free-to-use and easy-to-understand. The source code of MySQL can be studied, and changed based on the requirements. It uses GPL, i.e. GNU General Public license which defines rules and regulations regarding what can and can’t be done using the application.
- Quick and Reliable: MySQL stores data efficiently in the memory ensuring that data is consistent, and not redundant. Hence, data access and manipulation using MySQL is quick.
- Scalable: Scalability refers to the ability of systems to work easily with small amounts of data, large amounts of data, clusters of machines, and so on. MySQL server was developed to work with large databases.
- Data Types: It contains multiple data types such as unsigned integers, signed integers, float (FLOAT), double (DOUBLE), character (CHAR), variable character (VARCHAR), text, blob, date, time, datetime, timestamp, year, and so on.
- Character Sets: It supports different character sets, and this includes latin1 (cp1252 character encoding), German, Ujis, other Unicode character sets and so on.
- Secure: It provides a secure interface since it has a password system which is flexible, and ensures that it is verified based on the host before accessing the database. The password is encrypted while connecting to the server.
- Support for large databases: It comes with support for large databases, which could contain about 40 to 50 million records, 150,000 to 200,000 tables and up to 5,000,000,000 rows.
- Client and Utility Programs: MySQL server also comes with many client and utility programs. This includes Command line programs such as ‘mysqladmin’ and graphical programs such as ‘MySQL Workbench’. MySQL client programs are written in a variety of languages. Client library (code encapsulated in a module) can be written in C or C++ and would be available for clients that have C bindings.
- Navigate to the Application Manager page and search for
- Click icon to open the installation window and tap Install to start the installation process.
- Once the installation is complete, click icon to open the Access Info page. Then click Go To Application to access
The installed mysql server can only be accessed from other one-click installable apps such as OpenSSH. As of now, public access is blocked for this app.